17.6.09

Anatomy of a Breakfast

Around this house we love oatmeal.  There is, however, a huge difference in the quick cook kind and the super yummy steel cut Irish Oatmeal, the latter being our favorite, and quite a bit better for you.  But it truly does take a long time to cook, so here is a big hint if you want to enjoy the best breakfast porridge* ever!

Soak it!

Measure out the oats and water the night before and leave it to soak over night at room temperature.  This shaves more than half an hour from the cooking time (and I have found from the clean up time, because it doesn't stick to the pot as badly since you don't have to cook it as long).  Don't worry if you make extra, because I have a solution for leftover oatmeal that I will share soon.

This time I also used a well pre-heated skillet and toasted some raw almonds.  After they cooled I put them in a re-sealable bag and crushed them with the bottom of a skillet.  I tossed those on top with some Craisins.  A little Silk soy milk and a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon and it was perfect!  Best breakfast ever!  I can't really back that up, as I tend to make some pretty mean breakfast creations...but it is definitely one of our favorites!

Also, two days ago our landlord brought us this beautiful box of hand made rice cakes to celebrate their baby's 100th day of life.  They were beautiful and tasty, with a sesame seed filling.  We really have a wonderful landlord, and are hoping to repay his kindness as soon as we have out home unpacked and cleaned.  Maybe I will learn how to make these while we are here!

Malama Pono!

No comments: